Tuesday 15 September 2009

Tuesday 15th

OK, so let's look back to that first freshers’ week and reflect a wee bitty!

The visit to the Spanish exhibition at the National Gallery was interesting, but I felt a bit rushed. It was difficult to appreciate the various different styles, and their histories, while chatting to virtual strangers. Maybe I should have gone back again.

What did we do on Tuesday??

The Islam exhibition at the mosque had finished the previous Monday, and so I just got a brief look inside the mosque; it was ‘lunchtime’ prayer so I felt I was intruding a bit. Curry was filling & cheap though.

There was a lot of fascinating things in the Museum of Scotland and the views from the top floor were as spectacular as ever. I feel it could have been useful to have been given a quick overview of the contents of each floor, and the split into groups to investigate our preferred sections.

Thursday saw us meet up in the rain at the National Library, which looks to have an enthralling selection of contents. Sadly we couldn’t go in but had a quick look round the Scots emigrating exhibition, which gave some interesting insights into the hopes & needs of those long ago brave souls. What about that Darien scheme??

Then we watched Broken Embraces (los abrazos rotos), a complex and beautifully filmed love story that wasn’t as profound as it wanted to be!! I felt there was unnecessary sex (the first scene) & drugs (DJ collapse) and some areas that raised serious plot questions.

As for language, well I remember that we must follow disfrutar with de, and apparently, I can say “me tengo que ir” instead of “tengo que irme”!

Friday was another wet day, so we matriculated and scampered away to escape the rain in our own fashions.

1 comment:

  1. I remember! On Tuesday we went to the Self Study Centre and met Carols and some of last years' students. It was quite interesting, but it would have been better if we had been given time to think of some questions before meeting them!

    ReplyDelete