Monday 9 November 2009

Monday 9th Nov

Last week was a bit of a financial disaster: no hope of extra financial support from the college, TLI won’t continue the evening classes, and the potential study at Riccarton was cancelled. That triple whammy hit me fairly hard: do I judge success by money alone? Well, no but I’d like enough to have a life! Maybe I am discovering more about the reality of student hardship. We’ll see how the private class idea works out but I guess I might have to start looking for bar work!

Enjoyed a good chat with Scottish Anna in the literature class, and it’s true that explaining your understanding of something to another person can strengthen your own understanding, and occasionally make you realise some gaps in your knowledge. I’m looking forward to doing more short story review work. I never really did suss out the Queen of Sheeba / King Solomon reference though!

The role plays in French have been great fun and I’m still pleased with how much had been implanted deep within my mind! However, I need to keep working on new vocab: car – la voiture, and what was meat??? Maybe just order boef!

Popped in to see Joe and had a brief chat about progress. I didn’t do enough last week, but I really didn’t feel like working on Thursday after the money disappointments, and the weekend??!! This week I’ll finish the History section, and do some research & planning on the Symbol of Catalonia.

Scott’s communication class has been fascinating of late: Calvinism, the Enlightenment, David Hume et al. Perhaps I should try and study Scottish history?? I didn’t finish the Hume assignment in class and this was good….The last time I pushed myself to finish my writing within the class time, and although I passed without problem I feel that I rushed the work. Better to take one’s time and experience higher levels of satisfaction.

I find Maths a very pleasant way of starting a Friday morning – it is logical captain, and there is a definite answer to be found. Onto Pythagoras and his groovy triangles!

After all my moaning about Chartism, Evan thought it was excellent and actually read out a section in class. Pleasing but a bit embarrassing!

No comments:

Post a Comment